Faith Cherotich of Kenya and Medina Eisa of Ethiopia, are the two African athletes who made the final lists of the three finalists for the 2023 Women’s Rising Star Award which was released by World Athletics according to a statement from the World athletics ruling body.
The duo would compete with Serbia’s Angelina Topic who also made the final list as the three finalists will now seek to win the U20 athlete Award at the World Athletics Awards 2023 which will be selected by an international panel of experts while the result will be announced on December.
A statement from World Athletics, further reads that : The nominations reflect some of the standout performances that the sport has witnessed this year, at the World Athletics Championships Budapest 23, World Athletics Cross Country Championships Bathurst 23, World Athletics Road Running Championships Riga 23, one-day meeting circuits and other events around the world.
The finalists are:
Faith Cherotich, KEN
– World Championships 3000m steeplechase bronze medallist
– No.2 on the world U20 all-time list with 8:59.65
– World Cross Country Championships U20 fourth place
Medina Eisa, ETH
– World Cross Country Championships U20 silver medallist
– World Championships 5000m sixth place and 14:16.54 PB
– World Road Running Championships 5km fourth place
Angelina Topic, SRB
– World Championships high jump seventh place
– 1.97m national record
– European U20 champion
Further information about the World Athletics Awards 2023 will be announced in the coming weeks.