With just three weeks to go until the IAAF Athletics Awards 2018, the IAAF is delighted to announce the five ...
With just three weeks to go until the IAAF Athletics Awards 2018, the IAAF is delighted to announce the five finalists for the 2018 Female Rising Star Award to recognise this year's best U20 athlete.
The winner will be announced live on stage at the IAAF Athletics Awards 2018 in Monaco on Tuesday 4 December.
The nominees are:
Meseret Belete (ETH)
- World U20 best at half marathon with 1:07:51
- Sixth and team gold at IAAF World Half Marathon Championships Valencia 2018
- Gothenburg Half Marathon winner
Celliphine Chespol (KEN)
- World U20 champion and world U20 lead at steeplechase with 9:01.82
- African (senior) cross-country champion
- Steeplechase silvers at Commonwealth Games and African Championships
Meskerem Mamo (ETH)
- World U20 leads at 3000m and 5000m with 8:33.63 and 15:05.21
- Bronze in 5000m at African Championships
Sydney McLaughlin (USA)
- Two world U20 bests or records at both 400m hurdles and indoor 400m with 52.75 and 50.36i respectively
- World (senior) lead at 400m hurdles with 52.75
- US collegiate champion at 400m hurdles
Briana Williams (JAM)
- World U20 champion at both 100m and 200m
- Carifta Games U17 champion at both sprints and 4x100m